So today it's Tuesday. We come back early on Tuesdays because we have 3 hours sessions this evening. They run from 6-9pm so we get to leave at 2:15pm. One of the things I really wanted to do today is to write on this blog. The reason was because I wanted to do some self-reflections. Marc has gotten alot of this but all my friends should feel my struggles too.
I have 10 students in my 4th grade class. There names are Shaniya, Ja'nya, Jontia, Andrea, Jasmine, Bobby, Terricco, Cedric, James, and Josh. They are a lively bunch and I will make sure to write a description about each of them later. Today I want to focus on James.
James is 9 years old, going to the 4th grade. The first day I met James I knew nothing about him. I gave him the math test and he was the first one to finish. But when I graded the test, it seemed like he gave up by question 20 in a 45 question. The other math person and I thought he just might not know how to read so we came up with a plan to get to him. So that he can learn and really improve.
But a couple days later, we were talking to his english teachers and we found out that he is at a DRA level of 40, which is right where he needs to be. So we were stumped. We do not get it. Why is this kid not trying. I gave him a math drill and he did pretty well. It is timed so he was very slow, but he did understand how to do it.
How do you
to be continued.
No comments:
Post a Comment