Monday, January 17, 2011

Trying to put my A game foward

So I know that I wanted to write every Saturday but this weekend I was in Pittsburgh visiting my boy. I haven’t seen him since December and wanted to hang out with him his birthday weekend. So this week at school has been completely crazy.

First of all, this lady named Josie was coming to the center this week so the ACM (assistant center manager) told us that we need to have everything up-to-date and that our science center has to be updated. Tambien our letter wall and most importantly what we do in the classroom has to match identically to the lesson plan. So I was freaking out because I don’t really feel like I do the best job with sticking to my lesson plans. I feel that I teach my students some of the stuff that they need to learn but I have done a horrible job backwards planning (TFA lingo). I know that my kids need to learn so much by the end of the year but having them learn it all is the most challenging part.

So Josie finally came into my classroom on Friday and I was super nervous. My IC (instructional coach) told me that I needed to do small groups on Friday (which I don’t normally do because Friday is kinda like a lazy day). SO I ended up doing the small groups on Friday. It was a great thing because my CM (center manager) to do my PDAS (Professional Development Appraisal System) which is very scary. PDAS is done by a supervisor and it’s a way for Texas to make sure their teachers actually teach, especially the 1st year. So my CM is suppose to do a PDAS evaluation a couple times a year and then debrief you afterwards. He came in back in November but I never found out what did right or wrong so who knows. One of the teachers told me that if they haven’t come into my classroom is because I must be doing something right. So who knows?

So my CM came into my classroom during small groups and he was talking to some of my kids on what they were doing. He hasn’t debriefed me about the observation but he did tell my TA and I that during small groups it would be a perfect time to figure out who has been getting the objectives that have been on the lesson plan for the week. He looked like he was satisfied with my performance but who knows. I am sure I will find out soon enough.

Josie finally came into my classroom right before lunch time and after she looked around for a bit at my centers and at my lesson plan, she told me to kiss my brain because I have down a good job. So after all of that, this stressful week was worth it because 3 people said that I am doing a good job. Now I just have to see what my kids are learning. We start our mclass assessments tomorrow and I am excited to see how much my students have leaned since November when we did the first one.

No comments: