Sunday, November 7, 2010

Voting

So I wanted to write about voting and how on tuesday it was election day. For the first time since I turned 18, I was able to vote at a voting station. It was weird because I am now a texas resident and had to vote in the texas elections. Part of me wanted to continue voting in NY but I kinda figured that since my car is registered in the State of Texas I should be too.
In texas, you have the option of early voting. I was about to do so on friday but I had forgotten to write the address down and my gps couldn't find it so I then had to wait until Nov. 2nd to vote. So on tuesday I drove over to my voting stations (which was the library up the street) and showed them my card to vote. She said my name was Ms. Rodriguez which I HATE with a passion. (for the people who dont know, my last name is Urgiles Rodriguez on my passport, ss card and license) I hate it because its my mothers maiden name and its just too long of a last name for it to actually work. So she gave me a waiting ticket and I sat down. In texas they use these big ass pda's which some are touch screen but others you need to use a big wheel and a select button to vote. When it was my turn, I am proud to say that I voted democrat down the line. It is different than in ny because this stupid thing was so long, there was about 100 district judges i needed to vote for and i just couldnt get informed about all of them. The ones that did not have a democratic candidate running, i voted libertarian or green because i couldnt bring myself to vote for republican. I dont really like being a democrat in a republican state and I am kinda happy I only have to do it a few more times. I did like voting and it made me sad that my family did not really vote. My cousins couldnt for various reasons and my brother doesnt believe that his vote matters. It makes me sad because voting is a right that not everyone has and that we all have and it sucks that most people dont use it.

No comments: